A few things to remember at the Beach
Tamarindo beach is quite spectacular. It’s huge and has a variety of places to stake out your spot. Here are a few tips to make the beach even better.
1) Don’t Leave Anything Sitting on the Beach Alone – If you leave anything (including shoes) on the beach, there is a chance that they will vanish when you get back. Best rule of thumb is to bring as little as you can and if no one is going to be on the beach, burry your stuff. Hopefully, nothing would happen to your stuff, but just in case, it’s best to deter would be thief’s.
2) The sand is hot, bring sandals – I know I just said not to leave anything unattended on the beach, but sandals are really important, just bury them if your entire group is headed out. The sand is hot and the roads are very unpredictable, it’s a good idea to wear sandals when you’re out and about.
3) Hydrate – There are a few stores that you can buy water at off of the beach as well as some vendors with cold drinks. Be sure to drink water, the air is very dry most of the year so your sweat evaporates before you realize you’re sweating. It’s easy to get dehydrated. The Pipas (coconuts) they sell on the beach are delicious and extremely healthy, be sure to try one!
4) The Tides are huge in Tamarindo – Twice a day the tide goes out and the beach is massive. Twice a day the tide comes in and the beach gets very small. Good rule of thumb, if you’re going for the day, look at the beach chairs on the sand, that’s typically where the tide will be headed throughout the day. The tides can come in fast and sweep your stuff away (or at least get it real wet) so be prepared as the water comes closer.
5) Be aware of your surroundings – The beach and water in Tamarindo are wonderful and we love spending time out there. It is also important to remember that this is a natural environment and is not as manicured and managed as a beach you would find in a place like Maui. Watch where you’re walking, there are rocks, pointy shells and occasionally creatures on the beach and in the water that can surprise you. That’s what makes Tamarindo amazing and full of character!
6) Pay attention to the ocean – For the most part, Tamarindo is a pretty calm bay with good surfing waves in certain areas and small swimming waves in others. There can be rip currents every now and then or large swells that will increase the size of the waves, so just watch the water for a little bit before you venture out to make sure you’re in a good location for enjoying the ocean.